Jun 01 2013

Rockstown Incident (Part 2)

Those who are familiar with the story of “Candy Candy” know who Albert really was, but for the readers who read the manga for the first time, they might wonder where Albert had gone and what he had been doing after he had disappeared from Candy’s life. At least I did.

Besides, I didn’t quite understand why Albert sent Candy a parcel from Rockstown, a big hint of where he might be. It seems that he intended to lead her back to Terry, who was obviously miserable and depressed. But why didn’t Albert tell Candy directly about Terry’s situation? What was he thinking really? Did he know that Candy missed him and that she would go to find him after getting his present? Also, did he know the outcome, that she didn’t stay with Terry after all?

In one of my stories, “Afternoon Nap”, I have attempted to give answers to the questions above using my imagination. My guess was that Albert had fallen in love with Candy but because of their adoptive relationship, he had inner struggles.

Some people have argued that Albert didn’t really love Candy as a woman. He had never kissed her like Terry did nor confessed his love explicitly. However, to me, actions speak louder than words. In the manga, more than once it was apparent that his feelings for her were more than a friend or a brother. For example, he risked his life to shield her from the lion’s claws, he wanted to share her sorrows for the rest of her life (the famous sandwich scene), he searched for her frantically not knowing where she might be (she was tricked by Neil), etc.

Talking about that, when Candy was missing because she had been trapped by Neil, Albert must have been so worried about her safety that he had pushed his old car to its limit. The car later broke down and was totaled. They ended up being stranded in the middle of nowhere. In the manga, it shows that Candy was lost and very scared after she had escaped from Neil, but she was more than relieved to see Albert coming to her rescue. They had no choice but to spend the night together by the lake. Yet she trusted him enough to tilt her head against his shoulder as she relaxed into him, falling asleep before long.

I wonder if Albert slept that night at all. In Chapter 11 of my long story “Love Never Fails”, Albert gave in to his drowsiness.

As he sat staring into the darkness that was thick and almost tangible, his mind slowly became blank. Try as he might to fight the drowsiness, an enormous wave of fatigue washed over him… The rhythmic beat of Candy’s slumber lulled him to sleep, and gradually his breathing fell into step with hers. The leaves whispered in the breeze from the lake came to him like a lullaby, and his eyelids drooped and closed, fluttered and closed again. Soon, he too was asleep.

For your interest, you can find my stories in http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3260266/

Please click here for related posts.

Image

1 ping

• Ysa on June 4, 2013 at 9:39 am

You have an imaginative idea. I adore this!

1. Thank you! 🙂

• Anonymous on June 4, 2013 at 8:06 am

Dies ist ein sehr schönes blog!

1. Gracias ^_^

• Anonymous on June 4, 2013 at 6:29 am

Soy tu fan , me gusta tu trabajo y lo disfruto, eres genial¡¡

1. Muchas gracias por leer y por comentar!!! 😀

• Guest on June 3, 2013 at 11:09 pm

It would have been nicer if you added a little color. You’re actually good.

1. Thank you. One day I might 🙂

• Sadie on June 3, 2013 at 6:49 pm

Hello!

The page led me to read this blog and it’s a perfect place for every Candy fan. I think your theories about their relationship are exceptional and your drawings are just extraordinary. I do hope you keep your creative juices coming. Good job!!

Sadie

1. Thank you for your compliments. Nice to meet you. 🙂

• Candyfan on June 2, 2013 at 8:48 pm

It’s great! It took my breath away! I think you should draw your own romance manga.

1. Hi Candyfan, thank you! Glad you like the drawing. 🙂

• Patty on June 2, 2013 at 11:48 am

This is undoubtedly magnificent. Congratulations on this blog. I will come by and wait for your new posts.

1. Thank you! I’ll try to keep this blog alive. ^_^

• Lezti on June 2, 2013 at 11:36 am

wow! you are getting better and better hunny. Beautiful!

1. Oh, thank you very much, Lezti <3, especially from you 😀

• CKati on June 2, 2013 at 10:06 am

Again, this is a very nice drawing. Maybe you should also draw a sequel in the form of a manga of CC 😉

As for Albert not kissing Candy, I think he is too much of a gentleman to do that especially when he thinks she is still in love with Terry. Besides, he probably thought he would scare her if he tried to do anything which then would make him loos her.
    Ahh, if only he (and Candy) knew that Candy was developing feelings for him before he left their appartement and her…….

• EnakaT on June 2, 2013 at 10:44 am

Strongly agree with this one. Yes, you should draw a sequel one, the part that Mizuki tore off. They seem to be so sweet in your drawing. Wonderful job. 🙂

1. Thank you for your kind words. 🙂

1. CKati, I don’t have much time to draw :P, and I only do so when I feel very inspired :D, but thank you so much for your encouragement! ^_^

I agree with you about Albert… he probably thought Candy’s heart still belonged to Terry, and he suppressed his own feelings instead. Of course, his true identity also hindered him. On the other hand, Candy didn’t understand how important Albert was to her until he had vanished… :/

• Brower Alhely on June 2, 2013 at 9:51 am

Took a quick look girl, but its amazing all the work u’ve been doing. congrats!!

1. Thank you very much, Chio! It’s very nice to see you here <3

• Guest on June 2, 2013 at 9:16 am

You’re so talented. Can I have your autograph?

1. You must be kidding… ;P Anyway, thanks for your compliment! 😀

• LNFfan on June 1, 2013 at 8:59 pm

Wow! If I owned a gallery, I’d hang this on the wall by the front hall. Go and give it all you’ve got, babe! *mwuacks!*

1. Thank you, LNFfan. 😀

• Anonymous on June 1, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Oh yeah, oh yeah! Hail to Ms Puddleglum! Your works never cease to impress me!

1. Thank you! I’m glad to hear that ^_^

• Anonymous on June 1, 2013 at 7:39 pm

yup! Ms Puddleglum strikes again with this wonderful rendition of that so sweet a night! Being together, with each other, and sleeping together! Talented Lady! Love your stories and your sketches!

1. Thank you very much for your encouragement! 😀

• Yanyan on June 1, 2013 at 5:32 pm

She used Albert’s chest as her pillow? 😉

Your drawing is excellent.

1. Thank you!! 🙂

• Albertfanatix on June 1, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Albert was willing to sacrifice his own happiness by sending Candy back to Terry. He’d do everything to make her happy because he had loved her already and was hurt if he sees her so sad, which is why he compelled himself to leave her in the apartment.

And great artwork, by the way, they look so content with each other.

Thank you for another entertainment.

Enjoy the weekend.

1. Thank you! You too 🙂

1. […] I have wanted to color this old pencil sketch for a long while, and I finally got it done. I hope you will like it, which is based on Chapter 11 of my story, “Love Never Fails”. For more details, please refer to my previous post http://mspuddleshaven.com/2013/06/01/rockstown-incident-part-2-2/. […]