Oct 14 2017

The Myths of Candy Candy Final Story (Part 1)

It’s been a long while since my last update. I’ve been a bit stressed out at work lately, so I really appreciate your understanding. I’m glad that Alex came to my rescue. 😀 🙂 Some of you might have already known Alex, who has actively participated in some of my recent posts. As a professor and previously a lawyer, she is incredibly knowledgeable in many areas. Not to mention that she’s fluent in quite a handful of languages, including English, Japanese, Italian, Greek, etc.! 👍👏 Therefore, it’s my great pleasure to announce that Alex has provided plenty of concrete resources and details for me to tackle the mysteries in Candy Candy Final Story (CCFS). I’m honoured to have the privilege to present her discoveries and insights here on my blog. 💕 Before I start, Alex wants to clarify that she has studied CCFS as a separate text without considering any of the previous Candy Candy versions. Her insights are not based on her own interpretation but solely based on

1. historical facts,
  2. legal facts, and
  3. narrative/textual evidence (i.e. the literary devices the author, Keiko Nagita, has deployed, no one else).

Ever since Keiko Nagita (Mizuki) published CCFS in late 2010, there are myths circling around the internet. I’ll add references from CCFS Japanese version and discuss one myth or two at a time in order to keep each post focused. Please bear with me, and your patience is much appreciated. Although I myself believe Candy was married to Anohito (as already explained in my previous post and my subsequent comments), I’ll refer to him as Candy’s partner. Interestingly, Alex said that Nagita was not ambiguous at all about who Candy’s partner is in CCFS. On the contrary, Nagita has painted a crystal-clear picture. 🤔 My sincere hope is that by the end of this series, you will see for yourself who Anohito really is. ☺️

So let’s begin! First and foremost, there’s no doubt that the setting is in the mid-1930s, which is the period of the Great Depression as well as the Interbellum (the time period between the great wars), circa 1935-circa 1938/1939, prior to World War II. Candy in her own words indicated that it had been more than 20 years since the day Anthony died. CCFS readers were told that he was only 15 then.

How about the geographical location? Alex has valid reasons to believe that it should be the Southern rural England within the vicinity of the River Avon in South-West British country-side (CCFS Volume 1 P. 231). Yes, there are more than a few rivers of the same name in England, Wales, and Scotland, but Alex investigated and ruled out the three River ‘Avons’ in Scotland simply due to their locations. One is up North in the Highlands, the other one is too close to Glasgow, and the last one is in Falkirk, which some readers have brought up in their comments in my previous post. In CCFS, we read that the villas of both the Ardlays and the Granchesters are within walking distance (CCFS Volume 2 P. 61) to the summer school campus in South-East Scotland (the outskirts of Edinburgh), where there is a lake, not a river (CCFS Volume 2 P. 60). Alex, who knows Scotland well, indicated that there is only one significant lake on the outskirts of Edinburgh, and that’s the one behind Arthur’s Seat being Duddingston Loch (it’s a beautiful lake btw). Besides, based on Google Map, Falkirk is roughly 45 minutes away from Edinburgh by driving nowadays.

Thus, it is too far away from the existing estates of the Ardlays and the Granchesters in Scotland. In fact, during the 1930s, Scotland suffered a massive financial recession (especially Glasgow, Edinburgh, and Aberdeen) due to Great Depression, and unemployment was sky-rocket high in these areas. On the other hand, only the southern regions of England prospered. Ironically, these were the rural regions of England, and in particular, the South West rural regions within close proximity to Bristol, Bath, Warwickshire, and Cambridgeshire. Alex has more to say about these areas, and I’ll discuss further in my future post.

People might argue “what about Granchester’s second estate?” Some fans out there even claimed that this second estate is in the south of England, but that is wrong. In CCFS, Terry mentioned to Candy that his father owned another estate in Windermere (CCFS Volume 2 P. 85). As a matter of fact, Windermere is near the Lake District at the North West of England. In other words, this place has nothing to do with any of the aforementioned River ‘Avons’ in either England or Scotland.

In summary, the residence Candy and her partner were dwelling in the 1930s had nothing to do with any previous references in CCFS which could be directly attributed to either Terry or Albert.

Furthermore, Terry was no longer a Granchester by then because he had long renounced his father’s surname, severing all ties with the Granchesters. Not to mention that the Duke had legitimate kids of his own with his legal spouse, so what was the likelihood that Terry would get the lion’s share in his father’s inheritance as a filius nullius (an illegitimate child)? Therefore, Terry had no reason to be in the UK in the 1930s as his self-made success and fame were both in the USA. Alex has more to add on top of this, but I’ll stop here for now.

To conclude for this post, we know that Candy resided in the above-mentioned South-West rural British region within close proximity to the River Avon, based on her descriptions in CCFS. She made it clear that she personally took full care of some roses (she mentioned rose buds) and did not leave this tender care to the gardener (CCFS Volume 1 P. 231). You might think this snippet of information is not very significant, but those who understand what it means by taking care of roses or rose buds (my friend Antlay should know; some years ago she kindly sent me a picture of the last rose in her backyard before autumn) might see why this indicates that Candy did NOT travel about but permanently resided in South-West rural England. Remember that Candy mentioned that her partner wanted her to be always by his side? It means that this guy also resided with her in this rural place in England, not traveling worldwide. Note that London is too far away to travel to work every day even in today’s standard, let alone back in the mid-1930s. I recently realized that some readers might have assumed that Anohito had returned from a trip at the end of CCFS because Candy welcomed him home with joy and excitement. However, the phrase she used, おかえりなさい, can be a daily regular greeting (stock phrase), which doesn’t necessarily mean that he had been away for a long time. 😛 To me, Candy’s strong reaction to his return implies that they were deeply in love. 💕

Finally, Alex pointed out that when some Terry fans first discovered Nagita’s reference to the River Avon, they were bouncing up and down for joy, assuming that this clue was in Terry’s favour. Unfortunately for them, it has the opposite effect. This reference to the River Avon actually benefits Albert for historical as well as economic reasons. Please stay tuned. 🙂

2 pings

• Alex on November 7, 2017 at 7:47 am

Hello Everyone,

Thank you all for your insightful and generous feedback. This is most appreciated. Ms Puddle has done a great job in her analysis and we’re grateful to her for all her hard work and talent.

In order to avoid confusion, I’ll be posting my responses to your further questions at the comment section below Ms Puddle’s latest post.

All Best,
    Alex

• Interstellar on November 7, 2017 at 12:00 pm

Welcome back Alex! Looking forward to your and Ms Puddle’s intelligent analysis!

• chosen615 on October 23, 2017 at 1:36 am

Hello again Ms Puddle!
    It’s been a quite long while since my last visit to your blog, and today I found this very interesting posting so I couldn’t stop here and leave a reply.
    I’m a history lover, but actually haven’t considered CCFS as related to real historical timeline or geography. (The only exception is that I once have quoted some part of it to give an example of WW1 in history class! ) And to be honest I didn’t expect the author to be so accurate. My reactions were always “Fiction is a fiction.”
    But you and your friend Alex’s analysis makes me see the whole story in new way! You are amazing, as always. 😉
    I promise I’ll read the novel over and try to understand it thoroughly when time allows.
    감사합니다!

1. Hello chosen615, 잘 지냈어요? 😘

Yes it’s been a while since we last chatted. Glad to see you again. Yesterday I finally “picked up my pen” and started writing part 2 of this series. If you love history you will love part 2 for sure.

Like you, I didn’t realize that CCFS might have been based on real historical events, but I felt enlightened after reading several references from Alex. Please stay tuned, my friend 🙂 !

If you do find anything special from CCFS that is relevant to this series, please feel free to share with us!

Thank you!

• Elena MacIver on October 20, 2017 at 9:28 am

Dear Ms Puddle and Alex,
    Thank you both so much for your intelligent analysis which is always based on logic and proof. I’ve been reading Ms Puddle’s work for quite a while and I love it! Alex is a recent addition and I’m grateful for the highly educated research she’s posting here at Ms Puddle’s blog. Alex is right about the poverty which had afflicted Scotland and Northern England during the 1930s Great Depression. She lives and works in Scotland and she knows her stuff here. My great-grandparents are from Glasgow and the Highlands and sure hell did they suffer poverty in those days! I’ve managed to check the sources Alex has provided and they’re fascinating-especially the ones which derive from actual Scottish testimonials and national records (The National Records of Scotland). I hope that Alex continues to post her invaluable insights here. I like the way she’s so calm, measured and always provides historical evidence to each of her posts. If I’m not mistaken, Alex mentioned about not being able to post for a while because she’s moving to a flat closer to the university. Alex-Do you still work at a Scottish university or have you moved down south to London? Did you teach at Aberdeen uni by any chance? When you manage to find some time, could you recommend some quality history books on the social strife in Scotland in the early 20th century? I would appreciate that. Thanks again-Ms Puddle and Alex. You’re so awesome!
    Best Regards from a proud and independent Scottish woman-Elena

1. Hello Elena, nice to meet you! So you’re from Scotland?

We occasionally see people dressed in kilts, adults or kids, to attend weddings here. I was told they are not necessarily Scottish though. 😊

It’s nice to hear from someone who actually have roots in the Highlands, I must say. Yes indeed I’m grateful to Alex for her contributions, and I have only just begun to show her myth-busters. Please stay tuned 😘

• Elena MacIver on October 25, 2017 at 2:30 pm

Hello Ms Puddle, Nice to talk to you! Yeap, I’m a Highlander from the beautiful region of Inverness. I’m based in Glasgow but I travel frequently to Aberdeen because of my job. My b/f lives in Old Aberdeen near uni and I’m accommodated at his place when I’m over there. I also completed my Masters degree at Aberdeen Uni. It’s a fab place! Now when it comes to Scotland and Scottish culture, unfortunately there are too many people out there who have misconceptions and stereotypes which simply don’t respond to reality at all. Alex really knows her stuff and she’s hardcore accurate in her knowledge of Anglo-Scottish history without resorting to trite stereotypes and biases. But what I like even more about her is that she provides credible sources to support her research. I don’t need to repeat her findings as she’s clarified herself completely. You’re right about the kilt stuff though. You don’t have to be Scottish to celebrate some Gaelic and other Scottish traditions. Needless to say that the tartan doesn’t belong to Scotland alone. It actually doesn’t come from Scotland. Looking forward to your next post, Ms Puddle!

• Anonymous on October 20, 2017 at 8:44 am

Hello!
    Thank you very much for your insights. In fact, we can’t confirm the real place were Candy is living because there many Avon rivers in UK.
    But, as far as I know, in the old novel, in the last part of the novel, in his last letter to Candy, Albert mentioned his origins, saying that his ancestors were from the countryside of Scotland. Well, the Highlands are also known as the Scottish countryside, but they were not very damaged by the war, because it’s mostly a rural area. Besides, they have a good economy there: tourism, the castles, the distilleries, the salmon fishing, the cattle, oil and other natural resources.
    There is good transport network as well (the train, the viaducts and ports) which is important for travelling. Anyway, we don’t know if Albert stills working as a businessman/entrepreneur. He could a doctor know.
    Another clue: since most fans assume that she lives in England, Keiko Nagita would not need to make clear that she lives in the UK (which covers Scotland). It is written in the back cover of the Italian novel Candy Candy. Furthermore, there, she also says that the Ardlay ‘s are a noble and rich family from Scotland . That’s why they have a crest and several cottages in Scotland.
    In my opinion, Candy and Albert are living in Scotland. There many other reasons, but I will explain that in another post, ok?
    Anyway, that’s right there are lots of myths about the novel CCFS and one of them is “Candy lives in Stratford-upon-Avon”.
    Have a nice weekend!

1. Hello there, many thanks for dropping by and sharing your insights with us as well 🙂

Nobody can claim that s/he is exactly sure where Candy lived in her thirties. The only thing we are certain is that she lived across the ocean from America. If in the Italian version it’s written “UK” then you’re right it can be anywhere in the United Kingdom.

Alex derived it was in the south west part of England mainly because of solid historical and economic reasons. I’ll explain more in a new post, but at the same time, I agree with you that Albert didn’t necessarily continue to be a business man. However, with that you have assumed Albert is Anohito (which of course I’m in agreement 😀).

Another clue is the flowers. While roses and daffodils might survive extreme weather conditions, they grow best in warm weather. What do you think?

You have a nice weekend too 🙂

• Elena MacIver on October 20, 2017 at 9:48 am

You’re spot on-Ms Puddle! As a Scottish woman I definitely state that my country suffered severely during the World Wars. Scotland began to thrive financially after the second World War. Back in the humble 1930s, Aberdeen was no grand oil capital as it is today (although the oil prices have slumped these days and many people are without jobs in the Granite City). As for Glasgow, its industry was slashed following the Great Depression. Some of the elderly folk from my family who survive until this day remember with horror the poverty which prevailed in our wee land. Alex has provided some excellent sources-just scroll down and you’ll see her comment and the links to archives and articles. Scotland sure is thriving nowadays but it suffered a lot back then in the 1930s. We young folk are lucky to live in such a beautiful place as Scotland but our ancestors were anything but.

1. Hello Elena, glad to know that my reply made sense to you, and yet, I’d like to know what exactly I said that nailed it. Would you please enlighten me? 😄

Indeed the pictures I have seen on the internet shows that Scotland is a beautiful place with wildlife and nature. So I suppose you’re currently in Aberdeen Scotland?

• Elena MacIver on October 25, 2017 at 3:14 pm

Hello again, Ms Puddle. You’re spot on in the sense that we should keep an open mind and examine all aspects. Just because CCFS is fiction doesn’t mean that it’s outlandish. Even fiction needs some historical context and logic. Otherwise it’s just cheesy nonsense. CCFS is situated within the context of the Great War and the Great Depression so history sure does play an important role in this story. No need to state the obvious though. As for those so-called aristocrats, we Scots aren’t too keen on them. We’re an egalitarian nation where all people are equal regardless of what’s in their pocket. As our First Minister of Scotland has stated: “We value people based on their ability to learn and not their ability to pay.” Let’s not forget that Albert never held any respect for the filthy rich. He valued others as human-beings and not as fat cats. This is why he was so capable of living through meagre resources. He adored Candy because she’s such a kind lass irrespective of her being working class. Albert was no commonplace aristocratic fool but a really cool dude who worked fiercely hard to make a living. Even if he suffered massive losses during the Stock Market Crash, he would still be able to live a life full of dignity. Albert’s ‘wealth’ is not found in the pockets of so-called aristocratic silk shirts or designer trousers but in his heart and his hard work ethic. That’s his true class and not any silly aristocratic rubbish. The genuine Scottish legacy is our Democracy and not pretentious class segregations. There’s no such thing as ‘common people’. We are ALL people will equal rights and equal value. Our Great 1320 Declaration of Arbroath clearly states this. Wish you the best for your next post which I’m sure will be intriguing as it always is. Regards, Elena

• Anonymous on October 21, 2017 at 9:14 am

Of course, when the regular old people talk about their lives during the period after the WW, they will tell you there was poverty, and it happened in lots of countries. It’s true that the big cities of UK have also suffered from the Great Depression of the 30´s, such as Glasgow, Edinburg or Aberdeen, but it doesn’t mean that the noble and rich families were also affected by poverty.
        We can’t forget that the Ardlay family is a noble clan from Scotland and on the novel the author says they have several houses there.
        Anyway, the longer river Avon in Scotland is the one of the Highlands, in Strathspey area, running from Ben Macdui to Cragganmore. This river flows in Ballindalloch, which is a very beautiful place surrounded by lots of daffodils in springtime, including at the river side. There are also amazing rose gardens. Have a look on Ballindalloch facebook page. The photos will surprise you.
        On the novel, Albert said it should better to spend the summer holidays in the countryside instead of the city when Candy and his nephews were studding in England.
        Mizuki wrote the ending of Candy Candy story in a castle-hotel which remembered her of the Ardlay mansion. It was Daumaine de Beauvois in France, but she said she would like to be in Uk then.
        Daumaine de Beauvois is located at river side of the river Loire, a place very well-known because of its numerous castles, such as Scotland. It is surrounded by a forest, like Lakewood. Something curios are the saloon curtains (like the covers of the old novel).
        But there are other clues. You can read it here:

By the way, I’m CandyAlbert. 😉

Have a nice weekend.

1. Hello there CandyAlbert! 😘
          Next time you should be able to put your name and email address as you leave a comment, so you don’t have to wait for my approval after you get your first comment approved.

Anyway, thanks for all the information provided, and surely I’m not saying Alex’s conclusion must be correct. However, I think I should hurry up and write my second post to explain the historical and economic reasons behind her conclusion. From there we can discuss some more, alright, CandyAlbert?

You have a great weekend too! 😊

• Sarah on October 25, 2017 at 11:22 am

Hi Ms Puddle! I agree with Elena as she’s actually from Scotland and she knows her own land. As for Alex, she has explained and clarified from the start that her analysis is solely based on historical facts and not on what she wants or prefers, even though it’s obvious that she likes Albert and dislikes Terry. And yet, even though Alex prefers Albert so much, it’s so honorable of her to focus on historical accuracy and give a fair trial to both Terry and Albert. Alex always provides full citations and evidence for her words from credible and academic sites which are based on intelligent and educated researchers, and that’s why so many people appreciate her comments. And I sure am one of those people who love her comments! Hopefully she’ll come back to us soon from her packing and moving flat. She must be exhausted working at university and having to move house. I’ve been through packing myself and it’s a nightmare. Thanks again for welcoming Alex’s intelligent analysis in your great blog. You both are quite a cool collaboration! Have a great week! Sarah

• Elena MacIver on October 26, 2017 at 6:48 am

Hey Sarah, thanks for your support! The more time someone spends in a country the more they know about it. It’s common sense. And you’re right about Alex. She has made her point about treating CCFS as a separate text. She’s also been honest about her disapproval of Terry’s violent attitude to women and good for her on that! But I guess that as a former lawyer she’s being fair to both guys as candidates for Anohito. She’s building a case for them both even though she detests Terry and admires Albert. Alex has put her own opinion aside and presents facts alone. Being knowledgable in law and history is a massive advantage. I also want to point out that the historical sources on poverty in Scotland come from personal accounts gathered together by distinguished academics who’ve spend a huge portion of their valuable time investigating all this material. It’s a collaborative work of people from diverse backgrounds and that’s awesome. Talk to you again soon! Regards, Elena

• Sarah on October 26, 2017 at 10:58 am

No need to thank me-Elena. I’m just saying the obvious. I think we should focus on the evidence in front of us and not on wild theories because for each argument there’s always a counter-argument. This is the reason why the fans from the Terry and the Albert ships have been fighting so bitterly for such a long time. I support Albert but if I start theorizing and imagining things from dubious pseudo-clues then the Terry fans can easily do the same thing. There’s really no point. It’s a vicious cycle. Unless there’s concrete evidence all we’re doing is simply making up hints which we want to believe in. For example, there’s no clear evidence in CCFS that Albert is a medical doctor. Keiko Nagita describes him as a very capable and hard-working businessman. He had volunteered to help at a clinic in Africa but anyone could have done that back in the early 1900s. I had read in Albert’s letters to Candy in the Epilogue that private tutors were training him to study law and business at an English university-not medicine. If he did actually study medicine, this is based on the reader’s imagination and not on actual textual evidence provided by Keiko Nagita. If Albert is a doctor, then Terry could be a ballerina or vice-versa. We could go further by claiming that there are “clues” that Candy and Anohito live in Canada or Australia or New Zealand because those countries also have rivers bearing the name “Avon”. We could go even further into fantasy world and claim that River Avon is just an anagram for the word “Nova” which means new and Keiko Nagita is just making up this river. This whole thing could go on forever. Readers can assume whatever they want but that doesn’t make it a fact but a mere belief. I’m really looking forward to Ms Puddle’s second part of the historical facts surrounding CCFS. It’s refreshing that finally concrete facts are considered and not mere theories or simple wishful thinking. I want Albert to be Anohito but what I want even more are factual evidence and logical thinking. Cheers! Sarah

• Lynn on October 26, 2017 at 4:09 pm

Sarah, I find what you say sensible. For years now I’ve been reading tons of comments about the nature of anohito and the battle between the fans never seems to end. Each side supports its own claim and often in a very dogmatic way. I think Alex’s strategy in taking the factual route is smart whether the outcome is what I want (which is Albert for sure). Unfortunately the symbolic clues in CCFS are not enough to reveal anohito’s identity because they could be attributed to either men. The problem is that Terry and Albert have many similarities in their rebellious personalities. Both of them despise aristocrats and social etiquettes. They’re both hard working and ambitious men who keep to themselves and avoid being socialites. The competition is fierce but at least Candy is happy with the man she’s chosen to be with whether she’s married or not. Wedlock doesn’t mean anything anyway without commitment and mutual love. Best Wishes, Lynn

• Lynn on October 25, 2017 at 5:23 pm

Hi Ms Puddle! I agree that we should wait patiently for the entire analysis to be complete before jumping to conclusions. Also Alex made it clear that her focus is on CCFS and not on the older versions. I’ve read the Italian translation and the author herself explains that she wants her readers to focus on CCFS as an independent story without the influences of the older versions. The message is so clear. I agree with Alex that we should respect what the author wants and not what we wish for. I’m waiting patiently for your next post as I appreciate that you and all of us have our personal and professional obligations which keep us terribly busy. Thank you so much for the time and effort you put in your blog. Best Wishes, Lynn

• reeka on October 27, 2017 at 3:30 am

Hello All,

it’s truly fascinating to read this comment section. Where have you all been all this time? 🙂

CandyAlbert & Elena, .. I really appreciate all that information you shared, they’re interesting to say the least.

CandyAlbert,
          I love that you mentioned Mizuki wrote the ending in a castle-like hotel in France.
          Ahhh I remember reading it long time ago. When Mizuki said the castle reminded her of Ardley’s castle, it was a bold statement. By that, fans should know that Ardley family was a dear to the writer.
          That statement alone, plus in her wikipedia page, it’s clearly written she had created the imaginary Andrew family when she was being orphan as teenager. Later on, she created Candy Candy.
          To be honest though, even without trying to break any hints and clues in CCFS, fans should be aware that Mizuki adore this Ardley family and she would never get rid off Andrew/Ardley at the ending just like that. It says a lot about who Anohito is. Anohito must be an Ardley. The equation would simply be off if it was Terry.

Sarah,
          I agree with you. Although I must say, sometimes “feeling” played quite significant role as a hint which favour one side. This feeling we got by knowing other sources of the story, like the manga and the old novel. Like at the end of the epilog, I think we all got that feeling who Anohito was by narration written by Mizuki.
          And also, like Ms Puddle have shared in numerous times on this blog, sometime the claim was based on supporting articles/papers we know circulated along together with old novel and manga. Like some posters, the picture Mizuki and Igarashi used in final volume, and so on.
          However, I support you 100% on the claim that Albert could become a doctor. Hahaha this was one of a few stuff which made me frowned when reading some fan fictions. Of course, fan fiction does not necessarily have similar idea with the original story, but yeah I know that claim about Albert being doctor after The Great Depression was totally baseless. Some avid fans indeed adored Albert so much, they picture him as a superman, or Neo from Matrix. 🙂

• Sarah on October 27, 2017 at 7:58 am

Hello Reeka! I always enjoy reading your intelligent comments. Ms Puddle’s blog hosts many clever and knowledgable people-most importantly her own fascinating posts and stories. Of-course I’ll emphasise Fay’s fantastic contributions and hard work she’s put in translating CCFS in English. Fay has a really nice website of her own but I’m afraid that I don’t know Greek in order to participate. For some reason I can’t access her English forum lately. I have to look into that.
            Reeka, I love your comment on all those depictions of Albert as some form of Superman or Neo. I had a good laugh on that one. Perhaps Keiko Nagita thought about it herself and that’s why she decided to remove that lion scene in the CCFS. Even though I like the older versions of CC more than CCFS, I’m glad that Albert is made to look more like a normal human-being in CCFS.
            As I mentioned before, I’m not buying the belief that Albert’s a doctor. Maybe he took some extra courses in medicine during his education at university but there’s no indication at all in CCFS that he’s got a medical degree or qualification. Keiko Nagita makes it clear that Albert had received higher education in law and business but never in medicine. So what if the man’s a lawyer? That’s great! I sincerely don’t understand why some people obsess that Albert’s a doctor. I guess some of his fans want him to be god-like perfect. Let’s not forget the man is human with his nice and not-so-nice aspects. We’ve all got our good and bad sides. That’s life!
            If I remember correctly, Keiko Nagita had mentioned that she wanted to say goodbye to the Ardlays and to Candy because she has also grown up with her own family and wants to move on. Some Terry fans have used this comment (if it’s true) to their own advantage by claiming that Nagita changed her mind and wanted to reunite Terry and Candy. You see, this is what happens when we use feelings instead of facts. Feelings are great and we need them in our lives but they’re tricky and often unreliable. This is the reason why this huge argument between the Terry and Albert fans has been going on for so long because each side believes what they want to believe. And this is precisely where I like the moment when Alex and her quest for facts joins our discussions and debates. I can’t wait for the second part of Ms Puddle’s post where the historical data is furthered. We’ve had so much of feelings in this who-is-anohito argument that we could use a bit of facts. Cheers! Sarah

• Fay on October 16, 2017 at 6:50 am

That’s a very interesting post. I’m glad Ms. Puddle is always bringing something new to her blog and her interest is never diminished. I’m also glad Alex has joined us in here and brought with her a whole lot of information about CCFS many of us didn’t know. It’s really rare to find someone who is so familiar with the Japanese language, the key to know in depth the essence of CCFS. Unfortunately many fans don’t have any access to the original novel, the language being the biggest impediment. So this new post is valuable to all who want to know more about this story based on comments of those who have been familiar with Nagita’s own words. It is a known fact that many things in a story, and sometimes important things, are lost in the translation, something I’m well aware of due to my amateur translating project, and the reader sometimes gets the wrong picture of the whole thing, or misses essential elements in the story.
    By the way, I have never understood why the River Avon is related to Terry. Would it be because of Stratford – upon – Avon and Terry being a Shakespearean actor? That seems a bit funny to me. Besides, we can’t know for sure this is the Avon in question. As I have found out, there are nine rivers by that name within the United Kingdom. There are five rivers in England, three in Scotland and one in Wales. Since Alex has excluded the Scottish rivers, and since it’s highly unlikely Candy and Anohito lived in Wales, there are five rivers to choose from.
    Another point I agree with Ms. Puddle is about Terry residing in England. We know from CCFS that he had changed his name to Graham and consequently cut all ties with his family, probably ever since he left St. Paul’s to get to America. Nothing would keep him in England, the country of his father, who had his own family and legal children. Terry had no possibilities to be his father’s heir, and besides he had made a name of his own and a promising career. Is it possible that a Broadway star would leave America in the 1930s, just after the Great Depression, to settle in England? It just doesn’t make sense. If it does any sense to Terry fans, let them explain it to the rest of us.
    I had never thought that even Candy’s taking care of the roses could be a significant clue about her permanent residing in that place and not traveling around, which coupled with the information that Anohito wanted her to be always by his side, means that they were together all the time, and in a particular place. I suppose that if Anohito is Albert, he should have to travel on business, so I’m not totally convinced he didn’t return from a trip at the conclusion of the story. However, when a couple is so much in love as those two seem to be, it is natural for her to welcome him home even from a day’s work as if he had been away for weeks. So we can’t exclude that possibility.
    This new series of posts hopefully will put an end to many misinterpretations in the novel. Thank you, Ms. Puddle and Alex!

• moudy on October 16, 2017 at 7:00 am

Well said…Well explained 😊
      Candy took care of Sweet Candy roses because it has special meaning for her..coz it’s Anthony’s legacy…and also for who else other than Albert..which is Anthony’s uncle…and how much Albert loves his sister Rosemary who also loves Roses….
      😊😊😊

1. Hello moudy,

I want to clarify that those roses Candy mentioned had no names, so we don’t know if Sweet Candy roses were among them or not.

That being said, roses are associated with Anthony (and often with Rosemary as well), just as you said. 🥀🌹🏵️

• moudy on October 16, 2017 at 5:17 pm

Ah…Right! 😁😁
          Another clue thats crystal clear…is Slim’s painting portrayed within a HANDMADE frame…which of course who else is more than thoughtful and handyman than Albert…

Oo…Miss Puddle….I wish there is a story in the chapter in CCFS…about how they got married…where…when….how…☺☺

1. Hello moudy, sorry to disappoint you again but it wasn’t clear whether the handmade frame was made by Anohito himself, although he was the one who decided where to put it inside the house for Candy to easily spot it. ☺️

Yes, it would be nice to read that Candy and Anohito had a beautiful engagement party just like Archie and Annie and later an official wedding as well 💞💓

• moudy on October 16, 2017 at 11:11 pm

😁😁😄😄Thanks for your enlightment..
              keep us posted 🤗

1. Many thanks to you, Fay, for your encouraging words! My interest is not diminishing but my spare time is clearly heading towards that direction! When I said Alex had come to my rescue I did mean it with my heart 💕 Once again, Alex’s contributions are grand and I can’t appreciate enough 😘

About Riven Avon, yes you bet, Fay. It’s mainly about Stratford upon Avon, but stay tuned for a new post about that myth. Indeed there are nine rivers with that name in UK alone. Imagine that!

Like you, I find the speculation that Terry would not only reconcile with the Duke but also got a good share of his inheritance is a little far-fetched… About Terry being a Broadway star and whether he would settle in England will be discussed further in this series. I just need to decide which topic to discuss next to keep the series intriguing 🤗

About Candy and her dedication to take care of the roses herself, Alex pointed out the implications, which I didn’t realize before either. I’m never into gardening but Alex knows someone who does. About Anohito traveling or not, I believe he still has to, but probably not for a long trip. Plus, by then he might have trained some trustworthy executives to represent him?

About the ending of CCFS, I meant to emphasize that it wasn’t necessarily a return from a trip. I didn’t mean to rule that out.

Yet, Fay, I have a feeling that some people out there will continue to choose to shut their ears or remain blind. Let them be. My goal of this series is to list the obvious facts to tackle the well-known mysteries of CCFS. 😁

• reeka on October 16, 2017 at 7:13 pm

Hi Fay,

totally agree with you about Terry seemed to be impossible leaving America for England during mid 1930s. Hollywood’s golden age was between 1920 ( after WW1) and late 1950s. And during 1930s itself, we recognise a lot of great classics produced. Indeed, Terry was a broadway actor, but it’s normal and very likely he would jump into speed his wings to the screen. Moreover now, Alex and Ms Puddle confirmed that Candy’s house in England was far from London. I honestly do not see Terry retired that soon and willingly to live in quiet peaceful rural area 🙂

• reeka on October 16, 2017 at 7:15 pm

** … he would jump into and spread his wings to the screen.

typo 😀

• Alex on October 18, 2017 at 3:54 pm

Hello Fay,

Yeah.. It would be sensible to exclude the aforesaid Scottish rivers due to the socio-economic factors surrounding Scottish unemployment and poverty during the 1930s, especially in Glasgow and the rural west. Scotland had already been suffering massively from the detrimental effects of the Highland Clearances (culminating in severity during the C18th-C19th) resulting in immense migration to North America and beyond (I won’t burden you with the details but this aspect of Scottish economic and socio-political history is definitely worth a read). Tentatively speaking, the Ardlay clan may have derived from Scottish Highland immigrants-but again, this is simply a theory and nothing more than that as there’s no sufficient evidence via the CCFS to confirm such a claim. That said, the Great Depression had already brought further grief to an already financially ransacked Scotland. The areas which had been struck the hardest were the industrial areas in Scotland, Northern England, and Wales. On the other hand, however, the English South (in particular the rural regions of the South-West and South-East, as well as the ‘posh suburbia’ within the outskirts of London) thrived during the period of the Great Depression due to the migration of many wealthy North American business entrepreneurs who had astutely disseminated their investments beyond the North American borders prior to the Stock Market Crash of 1929. Socio-economic-wise, the British South constituted a bit of its own prosperous ‘micro-climate’ during the Great Depression and it continues to remain as ‘posh’ (when contrasted to Northern England) until this present day. Here are a few sources purported to further the insight into this tumultuous period in Britain:

All Best,
      Alex

• Sarah on October 20, 2017 at 10:04 am

Wow! These are intriguing articles. I’m awe-struck by the real life stories of Scottish hardship as reported in Herald Scotland and the Scotsman. Keep us posted Alex! You are one beautiful mind! Have a great weekend and good luck with all that packing!!!!!!

• reeka on October 15, 2017 at 9:52 pm

A great start for what I assume will be one cool of article of yours and Alex’s. This length, or maybe 1.5 of this, would be just nice for each post, Ms Puddle, just to keep us focus on one topic at a time because I believe all this analysis Alex and you produce together is not simple. Lots of data, lots of facts. Just my two cents, of course.

I do really appreciate this first post. I’m not familiar with The UK, so this helps. And interesting what you explained at the end since I am one of those who have believed Anohito came home from weeks of business trip. Yes, sure “okaeri-masai” is a normal greeting in Japanese from a member of a family to the other member who comes home, usually in the afternoon or the evening. It could be from office, school, or anywhere.

I’m excited to know what you both think about Anohito’s daily routine, though. If it was Albert, he was in her mid 40s, a prime time for a patriarch, he was still very much active, I believe. And sensing from the detail about how Candy not letting the gardener to take care her rose, I assume their house was still something grand. Of course nothing compared to Chicago mansion, but maybe at least something like The Leagan’s in Lakewood. Why I am saying this? Because some fan fictions suggested this particular house of Candy’s was something small and humble.

Can’t wait for the next. Thank you, ms Puddle & Alex.

1. You betcha, Reeka! Alex has provided many resources and facts that I have learned from her too. A long while ago I did read some articles about Great Depression and UK, and the information from her confirmed what I have known so far.

The point is, if I put them all or half in one post, people might be overwhelmed or confused! 😁 Glad you agree I should keep each post focused on one topic or two at a time.

Yes, those who have watched Japanese anime might have heard of おかえりなさい. Just as you said, it can be an everyday greeting. ☺️

In CCFS Candy clearly wrote that she wouldn’t leave the care of the rose garden to the gardener. She mentioned she overlooked River Avon from a wide/huge terrace of the house, if I remember this correctly. She also mentioned moving about inside the house, so nowhere do I get the impression that it was a small and humble house.

Many thanks for your support 💕

• reeka on October 16, 2017 at 7:02 pm

Keep them coming, my friend! I love reading history, especially those happened in modern age started in early 20th century.

About the house, it’s because I understand some people who agreed Anohito was Albert, they said Candy and he moved to England’s countryside because The Ardley’s had gone bankrupt and they live simply and happily there. I myself think they sure lost significant assets during the great depression, but far from being bankrupt though 🙂

1. Hello Reeka, yes the history in the roaring twenties and then the Great Depression in the thirties is fascinating to say the least 😁

No, not bankrupt… I don’t have that impression at all. I suppose they also had hired someone to cook for them. You see, Candy didn’t have to worry about preparing dinner at all… Or Anohito knew too well about her cooking skills? 🤣

• Alex on October 15, 2017 at 10:10 am

Hello Ms Puddle,

Thank you for your kind words and feedback. I’m honoured that you’ve generously posted the first section of the aforesaid factual analysis of the CCFS. This is most appreciated. Should further information and confirmation (further bibliographical sources, citations, etc) be required, I’ll be pleased to be of your assistance. For the time-being, I’ll refrain from posting further analysis so as to avoid any (unintentional apparently..) confusion as the data already provided should more than suffice. Please take note that until the first week of November, I may slightly delay in responding to queries as my partner and I are in the process of moving to our new flat (nearer the university where we both work). We’ll also have to set up a new internet service with our new provider and this may take a few more days.

To simply reiterate, my sole contribution to the CCFS analysis is exclusively based on facts and not on conjecture. As you’ve astutely specified, the factual evidence is threefold which is thus: historical facts; legal (C19th-C20th legal history, in particular) facts; and the literary apparatus (based on the original Japanese text) deployed by Nagita alone. I want to clarify that I have read the older CC versions (manga/novelised manga) and I have watched that anime-whatever (I regard that anime as way below par to the original CC manga and novelised manga, therefore, I will not even once refer to that monstrosity in my CCFS analysis). However, as you have clarified via your newest post, I treat the CCFS as a separate text without taking into the slightest consideration the aforementioned CC older versions (CC manga/novels). Again, thank you for clarifying that point and no further explanation is required from my part.

I’m looking forward to your further posts and insightful analysis.

All Best,
    Alex

1. Hello Alex,

Thank you very much for your kind and encouraging words! My gratitude to you for providing your professional knowledge to me so that I can share with CC fans here on my blog. Once again, the honour and pleasure are mine. 😘

No rush in responding to messages or comments as we are all busy with different obligations in life. I understand. 🤗

Wishing you a smooth transition to the new place! Happy packing/unpacking!

Ms Puddle

• Sarah on October 19, 2017 at 12:47 pm

Hi Ms Puddle and Alex-Your posts are really interesting and thought-provoking. I like the ways you both focus on facts and being as precise as possible. I also enjoy Alex’s historical analysis a lot. Looking forward to your next post. Cheers! Sarah

1. Thank you Sarah for your encouraging words! 😘 We don’t want people to think we make any of these up, you know 😁

• Sarah on October 20, 2017 at 7:35 am

With all those citations and references I doubt it that anyone in the right frame of mind would believe that you’ve made it up. You’ve done great work so far and I’m sure it will only get better! Cheers! Sarah

1. Thank you Sarah! You make my day😘

• Sarah on October 20, 2017 at 10:26 am

Glad about that! Have a lovely weekend!

• Carmen Cary Bert on October 14, 2017 at 7:04 pm

This is so good! I’m very excited, this is gonna be very interesting I can tell, thanks for sharing all this information.🤗

1. Hello Carmen, nice to see you here 💓 Yes there are more to come, and please be patient and stay tuned 😘

• moudy on October 14, 2017 at 6:23 pm

Hi there…i have been reading your posts about CCFS and i reread it over again because i was so drawn into them..
    no doubt Candy is finally with Albert..just like the ending theme song Ashita Ga Suki in the tv series…that the song is about Anohito…About Albert..her prince of the hill…which she longs to see..and always calls her name…Candy…

Don”t you agree ? yes…you do…😊😊

1. Nice to meet you moudy! Thank you for your encouraging words and support! Yes, that beautiful ending song is about her Prince on the Hill, whom she longed to see his reappearance! 💞

No doubt in that song Anohito means POTH 💓

1. […] I end this post, I’d like to remind you that in The Myths of Candy Candy Final Story (Part 1) Alex already mentioned that Nagita (Mizuki) was not so ambiguous about Anohito’s identity […]

2. […] The Myths of Candy Candy Final Story (Part 1) […]